During each legislative session, hospital champions from across the state visit the NC General Assembly to advocate for hospitals, our patients, our employees, and our communities. Advocacy Day allows hospitals to meet face-to-face with their legislators to remind them of the important work hospitals do and to encourage members of the General Assembly to know the impacts of legislative decisions on our ability to continue providing high quality care for all in the community. Advocacy Days are coordinated at least once during each legislative session and all member hospitals are encouraged to participate.
2017 Advocacy Day is scheduled for Tuesday, May 23
*NOTE: Check-in & lunch will take place at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences,
directly across Jones Street from the LB.*
At the NC Museum of Natural Sciences (121 W. Jones Street, 4th floor) - across Jones Street from the Legislative Building, entrance near the globe:
8:30 - 9:15 a.m. - Check-in/Registration (morning snacks & beverages available)
9:15 - 9:45 a.m. - Welcome and Orientation given by NCHA
9:45 - 10:00 a.m. - legislative speaker TBA
10:00 - 10:15 a.m. - legislative speaker TBA
At the Legislative Building (16 W. Jones St.) & Legislative Office Building (300 N. Salisbury St.):
10:15 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Legislative Visits (as scheduled by your hospital)
10:15 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - "Partnering for a Healthier Tomorrow" Courtyard (1st floor of the Legislative Building)
At the NC Museum of Natural Sciences:
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - rolling lunch buffet (no program, attend at your convenience) provided by NCHA
At the City Club Raleigh - Seaboard Room (Wells Fargo Capitol Center, 150 Fayetteville St, Raleigh - 28th floor):
3:00 - 4:30 p.m. - education event "Choosing Hospital Champions" hosted by Chris Sinclair, Cornerstone Solutions
At the City Club Raleigh - Sky Ballroom (Wells Fargo Capitol Center, 150 Fayetteville St, Raleigh - 28th floor):
4:30 - 6:30 p.m. - NCHA Legislative Reception for hospital leaders and their state elected officials
Parking & Directions:
- Parking for Advocacy Day ($2/hour in Visitor Lots Mastercard/Visa accepted OR free if car is removed after 5:00 p.m.)
- Maps & Agenda
Parking for Legislative Reception only: (at City Club Raleigh - 150 Fayetteville Street)
- Alexander Square parking deck - 120 S. Wilmington St.
- Moore Square parking deck - 200 S. Blount St.
- street parking also available
- Driving Directions to Legislative Building (LB) - 16 W. Jones Street
- Walking Directions from Legislative Building to City Club for Legislative Reception (4:30-6:30 p.m.) - 6 minutes/3 blocks
- NC Museum of Natural Sciences Lunch Buffet (11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.): New this year, a "rolling buffet lunch" will be provided at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences (121 W. Jones St, across the street from the Legislative Building) on the 4th floor. Participants can arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. There will be no formal program over lunch. The room will be available for groups of attendees to dine together or individually. There is no fee for lunch, but we do ask that you indicate on the registration form that you will need lunch provided so that we can plan accordingly.
Other Dining Options (vouchers NOT provided):
- Legislative Building Cafeteria - located in the basement, seating is limited, open from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Legislative Building Snack Bar - located in the basement, open from 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. (some extended hours available)
- Legislative Office Building Snack Bar - located on the first floor, open from 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Preparing for Advocacy Day
Thursday, May 11 @ 12 - 1 p.m. - WEBINAR - REGISTER HERE
"What to Know Before You Go & What to Do After You've Been" (for advocacy days)
For: Advocacy Day attendees
What does it cover?: making the ask, what to expect, telling the story, ideas for following up
Wednesday, May 17 @ 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. - WEBINAR - REGISTER HERE
"Legislative Issue Briefing"
For: Advocacy Day attendees
What does it cover?: priority issues to be discussed with legislators on Advocacy Day, current climate at the General Assembly, talking points and focused messages, where to find tools/resources, advocacy day timeline
Resources: (coming soon)
- Advocacy Day - Timeline for Success
- 2016 Orientation Video
- Legislative Building Map, Office #'s and Contact Info
- Legislative Office Building Map, Office #'s and Contact Info
- House & Senate Leadership (coming soon...)
- Advocacy Day Tips & Talking Points (including NCHA position statements) - editable for your hospital (coming soon...)
- Advocacy Day Agenda & What to Expect
- Partnering for a Healthier Tomorrow courtyard - explainer
- Partnering for a Healthier Tomorrow courtyard - logistics
- Share the message on social media: #MyHospital #HealthierTomorrowNC